Monday, 13 December 2010
Markets in Munich
From Lake Como, we headed to Germany to visit the famous Christmas markets in Munich and stay with Andy's aunt, Brigitte. To say the least, the markets lived up to their fame and our time with Brigitte was fantastic.
The first night we arrived, we parked up outside of Munich and headed into the centre on a super fast efficient S-Bahn (tube) - German ingenuity and efficiency lived up to its reputation! This is us in front of the entrance to the Christmas markets.
On our first night we met up with our friend Kim Watson for a Gluwein (hot, mulled wine - yum!). Kim, and her family (big hi to Abby Watson!) live in London and are long time family friends of the Martins. Kim was in Munich because her husband works here, and was kind enough to show us the best stalls in the market before heading off to a corporate Christmas dinner party.
The markets cover many different areas of Munich, and have everything from Christmas decorations, pottery, wood works, and general kitsch. There's also an abundance of food stalls dotted around, offering everything from bratwurst, crepes and donuts, to gluwein and hot chocolate. What more could you want...naturally we were obliged to try everything.
Labels:
Germany
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Christmas time in Germany is the best! Love the Weihnactsmarkts!!! I have very fond memories of two Christmases spent in Germany. The first in the university city of Heidelberg and the second in the small town of Michelstadt in the Odenwald forest. It is so beautiful there. Enjoy!
ReplyDeletep.s. Our Christmas card is on its way to Moraga. ;)
Lindsay, I'm so glad to be following your trip. What an amazing time for you guys. I can't believe you are in Germany for the Christmas markets. I'm very jealous. Enjoy!!
ReplyDeleteNice work on keeping up the blog friends! I love watching your every move. It looks like you are having a fabulous trip...have I mentioned that I am jealous??? love to you both!
ReplyDelete